Morning Pages

24.6.10

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify and vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as crazy, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

(Steve Jobs)

My blog posts have been few far and between. Now I'm feeling back up to speed. I've been writing, but not on my blog, obviously. Inspired by Ursual, from My Yoga Blog, I took up the practice of morning pages. Ever heard of it? Basically it's a writing exercise where you write first thing in the morning, by hand, stream of conscious. No censoring. Whatever comes to mind, you write. That's it. Taken from Julia Cameron in, The Artist's Way, she states that 3 pages, at least, should be written. I tried this years back in my early 20s, but didn't have the stamina for it. Now I do, and it's proved to be invaluable. I like to think of it as mental cleansing, and lately I've really needed it. Maneuvering through emotional states and subconscious garbage is an undertaking; one I'm willing to dive into, and writing unedited, is liberating. Damn, it feels good afterward to let it all out.

Another reason the exercise attracted me again is uncovering my creativity. I was so imaginative as a child. I loved the arts. Practically all mediums. However, during the course of my early adulthood it withered away. Suffocated. Now I feel the urge to reinvigorate this part of myself again.

It's interesting when we are really young and untainted by societal expectations we know who we are. It's that simple. We know what we like. When I look back on it I was very decisive as a child. Maybe frighteningly so. Then through certain life experiences, that I won't go into now, much of that died. Over the last several years I'm on the quest to reclaiming my inherent creativity. I've been starving for it, in a matter of speaking.

On another topic. I sliced up my finger pretty bad yesterday. Yeah. I hacked my finger with an immersion blender. Ha. Don't ask. Got stitches. I was told to hold off on practicing, or at the very least, not put undue pressure on my hand.  I cringe at the thought of what I did. A total dumb ass move on my part, lol. I'll never look at an immersion blender the same for as long as I live. But hey, I had my first taste of the Swedish health care system. Ummmm, yeah. National health care is a good thing damn it! At least here it is. Right, I know, it was only one experience. The nurse said I had a high threshold for pain. Ha! I thought I was a total baby, but I did alright. Glad that's over, and looking forward to steady healing.


So, I'm reading, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Naturally. With much of the story set in Stockholm, which I get a big kick out of, I had to give it a go. I love the fact I actually know many of the places the author mentions in the story. Great read, though a bit dark. I've been due for a good thriller/mystery in a long while.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo    The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity [ARTISTS WAY 10/E -OS]

The movie has received rave reviews worldwide even with subtitles. It's in Swedish, of course. I'm holding out till I finish the book. From what I've heard it's a rather graphic film. You've been warned!

5 Insightful Comments:

Ursula said...

I love to read this. Smiling. Yeah, I love my morning pages. I don't want to miss them anymore. I am glad that you start loving them again...:)

xoxoxo Ursula

Tiffany said...

I love the idea of morning pages, will have to try it myself (esp since I have SO much time now). What did you think of the movie...it was pretty graphic eh? XO

(0v0) said...

Yes, this is a great idea Laruga and Ursula. Thanks for the inspiration - I will try it.

Maybe ten years ago I read a book by Natalie Goldberg called Writing Down the Bones. If I remember, it's about journaling as a contemplative practice. I think she included some simple prompts that might be good for this.

peaceloveyoga said...

Yeah, morning pages have been a godsend for me recently. Totally digging it. Like, really ... loving it.

I'll have to look into "Writing Down the Bones" OvO, for sure.

Hey Tiff, I'm waiting to see the movie, but looking forward to it.

Ursual, I love your passion for journaling. It's a cool thing.

xoxo

Ahu said...

great idea to write first thing in the morning :) I like that you mention the creativity of your childhood, I have been thinking of that lately also, how it was easier to express and be open... as we grow up, we sometimes tend to burry all that enthusiasm and energy... x

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger