Å - Ä - Ö

27.5.09





"You always admire what you really don't understand."

~ Blaise Pascal



Å - Ä - Ö, the three extra vowels in the Swedish language. Oh my. On top of the A - E - I - O - U, we're familiar with in English, there are 3 vowels on top of the usual five, I've had to get intimate with when slowly learning the language. The Å, is more like a long "O". I think. The Ä, is close to a nasal toned "A," and the Ö, well...I'm not really sure what to make of it. Some type of strange hybrid of a "U" and "O" something or other. Definitely something I've heard when listening to French.

At first I was thinking Swedish was gonna be easy, peesy....but no, that's not the case. Well, I guess It is all in one's perspective, I mean Mandarin Chinese was a whole other ball game. So, I shouldn't complain.

Languages are fun and they really work the brain. Good mental exercise, that's for sure. I can see how it can be easy to be lazy and skip the Swedish all together while in Sweden since 99% of Swedes know English fluently. But, as DF has expressed time and time again...that's not gonna fly. Hahaha. Guess not.

4 Insightful Comments:

Tiffany said...

hahaha awww you're learning DF's language of looooove. hehe I love you babe!

peaceloveyoga said...

hahahaha...you silly girl. xoxo

(0v0) said...

haha! Yes, easier than Mandarin!

peaceloveyoga said...

You got that right!!

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger