Chiayi Lake

17.7.08



In the entire ten directions of the Buddha's universe
There is only one way.


When we see clearly, there is no difference in the teachings.

What is there to lose? What is there to gain?


If we gain something, it was there from the beginning.

If we lose anything, it is hidden nearby.

~Ryokan




Well, the typhoon didn't bring the thrill I was looking for. We got a little of it, but I think most of it is headed toward China from what I understand. It has already rained 3 or 4 times, and it's only 2:00 pm...still feeling it. I was told that typhoon season has just begun...lasting from July to October...and this was the first one to come in toward Taiwan. Not a very strong one...but still, enough to bring in strong winds and rain.

I've been getting into the grove with Mysore class. It's amazing how, when observing, you can get a feel for a practitioner's personality by the way they approach the practice. With very little language used, I feel I can then approach the students on a more intuitive level.

Small world...I have an expatriate who attends my beginner's classes regularly from the U.S...and he was actually born in Dayton, Ohio, and spent some time as a child in Columbus. He came to Taiwan over 5 years ago as a missionary...met his wife here...and decided to settle on the island. He always fills me in on fun and interesting facts about Taiwan. Which is nice...and it's nice to be able to talk to someone who clearly understands what I'm saying from time to time. Hahaha. :)

It really hasn't been too much of an issue for me regarding the language. Most people know at least a little bit of English. As for me though...being a lazy American...I know no other language well enough to speak at least fluently. Really...if I ever have children, they're gonna learn another language. Tomorrow, I plan on finding some type of program or book to get me started on learning some Mandarin. I mean, I should at least make an effort. Its important. The other thing that can be a bit daunting is reading the Chinese characters...hahahaha...where do you even begin?

Practice has been good. I've been able to get up pretty darn early without any problems. I've gotten used to the heat and humidity...which means I may take it a bit slower, as to not burn myself out...but the intensity is still there. I don't think the weather has made me any more flexible...I just sweat more. Some of that could be that I'm a bit dehydrated however...Honestly though, it made my time practicing in India feel cool and sweat-less in comparison.

Tomorrow is Moon day...Saturday, rest day...nice.

0 Insightful Comments:

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger