Yum, Yum

8.7.08




The ancient masters were profound and subtle.
Their wisdom was unfathomable.
There is no way to describe it.

One can only describe them vaguely by their appearance.
Watchful, like men crossing a winter stream.
Alert, like men aware of danger.
Simple as uncarved wood.

Hollow like caves.

Yielding, like ice about to melt.
Amorphous, like muddy water.
But the muddiest water clears as it is stilled.
And out of that stillness life arises.

He who keeps the Tao does not want to be full.
But precisely because he is never full,
he can remain like a hidden sprout
and does not rush to early ripening.


~ The Tao Te Ching, 15th verse






Am I becoming a Taiwan foodie? No too sure yet...but the food here is so interesting... delicious...light, healthy, and unique. I get the question alot here...when do you eat? where do you eat?...do you eat? It's really cute how concerned people are about if I am eating well...or eating at all.

Yesterday evening one of the Mysore students invited me to his restaurant...a very chic Japanese place. He ordered and picked out everything, and it was all amazing...each plate was like a piece of art. He brought out about 8-9 courses. I don't think I've ever eaten so much, but at the same time I didn't feel like a beached whale afterwards.





Today, one of the students took me out to a Buddhist meditation center near the mountains for lunch to meet the monk heading the place. The drive out was nice. I was amazed at the abundance growing in the countryside. Pineapple, guava, mango, papaya, banana, dragon fruit...and other crazy and amazing things. The Earth just gives and gives...

At the meditation center everyone observes silence. So, while eating lunch, no one talked. I was amazed just how unaware I can become at times...and clumsy...hahaha...something to be reminded of...even in the simplest of things...how we can disengage with the present moment.

The monk gave me two books on Buddhism...I was greatful for the gift. I am using much of my free time to read and study. Now I've got two more items to add to my stack.

0 Insightful Comments:

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger