Fisherman out at Chiayi Lake

14.7.08




The sage has no fixed mind;
he is aware of the needs of others.


Those who are good he treats with goodness.

Those who are bad he also treat with goodness

because the nature of his being is good.


He is kind to the kind.

He is also kind to the unkind

because the nature of his being is kindness.

He is faithful to the faithful;

he is also faithful to the unfaithful.

The sage lives in harmony with all below heaven.
He sees everything as his own self;

he loves everyone as his own child.

All people are drawn to him.

He behaves like a little child.


~ The Tao Te Ching, 49th verse



I average 2 classes a day, with a private lesson thrown in...here and there...Mysore class lasts for 2 and a half hours in the mornings...then I teach beginner Ashtanga classes in the afternoons. The beginner classes are feeders for the Mysore sessions...the goal is to get students to learn how to self practice in a Mysore setting. It's important for students of this practice to take ownership...learning to flow...learning the sequence...strengthening the mind that comes with being self-lead. I actually have a 12 year old who attends Mysore regularly...and if he can remember the sequence...anyone can. How lucky is he to start at such a young age!

We also do the traditional lead class on Friday. This gives students the opportunity to learn the count, and gain experience in maintaining a rhythm which is an important part to the process.

I've had the opportunity to align myself with several studios in the past, teaching Ashtanga Yoga. However, I've never quite gotten the support, and freedom to teach in the traditional method as I've had here. Mr. Wang, my employer, who practices everyday with the other students in Mysore class, greatly appreciates teaching Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga in the tradition of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. Now, I'm not saying I'm a hard-line by the book type of girl...but I will say...when keeping true to the teachings...it works. That is where a bit of faith, and surrender comes in. Amazing what happens when we let go to it. It's true alchemy...and of course, it's all about practice.

I ponder the significance of the method from time to time. But, then again, that's useless, it's all about the feeling, and place it can take you, if you only allow it. To not only feel connected from the inside, but to also feel, and connect to a greater energy...literally, blows my mind...Which is actually a good thing. ;)

In the end, it doesn't really matter what vehicle we choose...as long as we choose...having a bit of faith, trust, and surrender mixed in...and you have the makings of something mysterious, yet powerful.

I like the idea of staying in the mystery. Before, I alway, had to know, know, know....know everything...now, I practice observing...I practice being open, and willing...I stress the word Practice... because it's always a work in progress.


3 Insightful Comments:

Wayne said...

Beautiful picture and how true about being "in" the mystery.

Sadie Kaufman said...

This is such an inspiring post. I know I'm posting way after it was written, but I've gone back to read your blog from the beginning. I recently got certified as an ashtanga teacher. Thanks for sharing your insights and your amazing process.

peaceloveyoga said...

Thank you Sadie!

Best of luck in practice and teaching!

Happy to have connected here! xoxo

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger