Motor-scooter

10.7.08




The rain has stopped, the clouds have drifted away,
and the weather is clear again.

If your heart is pure, then all things in your world are pure...

Then the moon and flowers will guide you along the Way.


~ Ryokan



I've been getting around on a motor-scooter. May seem simple enough, but I had my reservations about driving one of those things. I never drove one my four month stay in India. It's not so much that I didn't trust myself...even though there was some of that...but, I had trouble trusting the other drivers on the road. I never realized how strict America's traffic regulations were until traveling to India, Thailand...and now Taiwan. I mean the other day I stopped at a red light and I was the only one that halted at the intersection...while other drivers whizzed by...looking at me like...Sucka! Now I understand what one of my students meant when she said don't trust the traffic lights.

Anyway, a week ago I made my maiden voyage...you should have seen Mr. Wang's face...hahaha...he was seriously worried about me as I skittishly took off for my apartment from the studio. I've gotten the hang of it. But, I'll admit, I haven't made my way down into the heart of Chiayi city...still have a bit of trepidation regarding heading down into the madness...but, I will, sooner or later.

Above is a picture of my two younger Taiwan sisters...Jenny and Cindy. They run the front desk, and seriously make me laugh and laugh like you wouldn't believe. Cindy (right) is Mr. Wang's daughter...and Jenny (left) is Mr. Wang's business partner's daughter...they call him Elephant...not sure why that is yet. Anyhow, they give me good comic relief. Cindy reluctantly makes it to Mysore class in the mornings under her father's watchful eye. She jokes with me and says she wants to learn Anusara instead. She says..."Ashtanga, too serious...Anusara, happy, happy." It makes me laugh when she goes on about it. Both girls are worried about getting muscular arms from practicing Ashtanga Yoga. Having a bit of muscle isn't considered attractive. So I joke with them asking..."So you think my arms are unattractive?" But, they insist that since I'm a foreigner it's okay for me to have muscle. They say..."Strong arm...no boyfriend." I say..."Practice and all is coming...even a boyfriend."


2 Insightful Comments:

Tracy said...

those girls are adorable! i can tell they have a fun side to them!

Unknown said...

strong arm, no boyfriend.
that's classic!

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger