Live and Let Live

16.5.07















"The simple and astonishing truth about India and Indian people is that when you go there, and deal with them, your heart always guides you more wisely than your head. There's nowhere else in the world where that's quite so true."
-An excerpt from Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

I have come across a most fascinating book while in India. The Aussie (a bloke I've met here in Mysore) was telling me about it and allowed me to borrow a copy of his so I can read it. The book is called Shantaram, and if you haven't heard of it yet...definitely check it out. Its about one man's plight and journey in and around Bombay, India. Its a true story. I'll just leave it at that... Don't be intimidated about the nearly 1000 pages either...it will hook you from the first page on. I guarantee it.
Yesterday, a group of us met for drinks at the Southern Star Hotel...since we were off the next day for the new moon. The group being me, Elle (friend from Thailand), the Englishman, and the Aussie. I use these names just for anonymity's sake. First, everything they say about a drunk Australian is true! I say that with humor...its not necessarily a bad thing. We all had a great time. Elle has been great...she is extremely honest and has an abundance of energy...which are great qualities in a friend...we have gotten along really well. She doesn't take her yoga practice too seriously...which is refreshing...and she doesn't hide the fact that she doesn't like something or someone. You just can't fault that...you have to respect someone for being genuine...and its not like she is being harsh or mean...she is just being who she is...no pretensions...no faking. The Englishman,(www.yogabarry.com) is the other tenant in Shakti House, where I stay. We have really gotten to know each other well...and I enjoy his company. He has done so much in his life and really lives by a high moral code. However, he is just a big softie inside. I like giving him a hard time...we have fun with each other. The Aussie is this ex-rugby player who has taken to Ashtanga yoga, and is definitely a man's man. Pretty darn Australian...through and through. However, he is so chill and has a great personality...and a good perspective of life.
One thing I am beginning to realize is how life in the States can be so isolating. We really think we are the only act going on in the world. That is just how I feel. After meeting so many people from other places and countries...they seem to have more of a global view on things and it is soooo refreshing. I have come to the realization that I really want to live out of the U.S for a sustained period of time at some point. Its not that I am dissing my home country...because it will always be my home...but it I feel it isn't only something that I want to do...but something that I must do. Peace.




4 Insightful Comments:

Unknown said...

Hi PLY, am really enjoying your blog. I was in Mysore for the first time last year and your pics and words bring back fond memories. I wanted to point a common misconception about Shantaram - it is not a 100% factual rather it is based on his life. I agree with you - definately worth a read. He has a website which is interesting to check out too.
enjoy mysore and look forward to more of your posts.
take care
jojo

Ursula said...

Dear Ply, I like it very much how perceptive you are. You do not judge, you are so open. I'm sure this attitude will enrich your life.

I'm looking forward to your next posts.

Tracy said...

Shantaram is an excellent book! You might want to get "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth after you finish Shantaram...It's another big one! I feel the same way you do about living out of the US for a time. Really considering renting a home in the south of India for 6 months and giving it a go after the husband retires in 10 years.
India is my home away from home.
Tell Ganesh and Anu that Tracy and Ray say Hello!
Namaste~and Love your Blog!

Unknown said...

I read Shantaram while I was in Mysore last november. It is a great book, the seediness of the guys experience is a nice counter to the Mysore experience.

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger