Some day, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity we shall harness the energies of love. Then for the second time in the history of the world man will have discovered fire.

~ Pierre Teilhard De Chardin



The clouds have parted and the sun is out! Yay. Typhoon rains have passed.

I haven't spoken much about teaching. Like to leave a bit of anonymity in that regard. But, I will say, the learning process has been endless...and, I find it interesting that I'm teaching students, who often time, I have to tell them...maybe don't push yourself so hard...take a step back...relax...hmmmmm...amusing.

I've become good friends with a local girl who teaches English in Chiayi. She's been to the U.S. on several occasions and it cracks me up when I get her perspective on Americans. One time we were in a bookstore and she picks up an American magazine and asks me...why are American's so obsessed about dieting, but they are so big? I didn't have an answer for her...hahahaha. Strange. Then she went on...why do American's drive these huge cars but are the only ones in them? I laughed at that one...sad, but true.

Amber, my Taiwanese friend, told me that on her last trip to the U.S. she gained around 11 pounds in 2-3 weeks from eating the food. Mind you though, she wasn't eating at the most healthiest of places. She asked me if I had ever eaten at Carl Jr....I told her...I really don't make a habit of it. In other words it isn't my cup of tea. Blech.

But ohhh how we laugh at everything...We enjoy addressing certain stereotypes making light of it all.

Yeah. Americans are considered big for the most part. But, in Taiwan especially for woman, to be tiny, tiny,tiny is considered beautiful. I guess its all relative to whatever area one resides. I've struggled a bit with some of the younger female students when it comes to teaching them Ashtanga. They don't want strong arms. Even being strong isn't really deemed as attractive. Interesting. However, my female students who are in later middle age don't seem to mind...I guess they're over it...and they kick ass!! They really amaze me.

3 Insightful Comments:

Ursula said...

When I travel to America I always fear to gain weight, because the portions in restaurants are just too big. It is difficult to leave half of the food on the plate.

Greetings

Ursula

Tracy said...

that is "blech" for sure!!! the last time i ate fast food was probably 35 years ago...so disgusting!!
Super Size it says it all! but when we eat out (which is rare)the places i eat at don't give you big portions, in fact most times i am still hungry when i leave...depends where you eat i suppose, and what your taste in food is~
xxoo

peaceloveyoga said...

Yeah, I've looked at eating and diet in a whole new way since being in Taiwan. There is an underlying healthiness in most meals...even when eating out. Good stuff.

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger