Swedish Summer

5.7.10

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.

(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I love Swedish summer, but it doesn't love me back. At least for the moment it doesn't. I've had my first bout of allergies in years. Kinda frustrating to feel allergic to nature. Itchy eyes. Ticklish nose. Swollen, scratchy throat. Not the funnest feeling when all you want to do is enjoy the lovely weather. Oh well. I'm making the best of it. It's times like this when the neti pot comes in handy. Seriously, it's heaven sent. Neti is my best option for thriving in the Swedish summertime.

I used to flush twice a day, everyday, and now I'm getting back into it. Once starting up again, I've had to ask myself - why did I stop? It's incredible.





A daily neti pot cleanse leaves you feeling clear headed and alert. Below are a few of the benefits to taking up the practice. Prevention is key!

Neti removes all the dirt and bacteria-filled mucus from within the nose.

It also helps to drain the sinus cavities. This, in turn, will help to re-program the body's natural mechanisms against nasal infections such as hay fever, allergies, sinusitis and other upper respiratory complaints like sore throats and coughs, post nasal drip, inflammation of tonsils and adenoids.

It is beneficial for illnesses such as asthma and bronchitis as it reduces the tendency for mouth breathing by freeing the nostrils of mucus.

It has a cooling and soothing effect on the brain by drawing out excessive heat, and is therefore beneficial for headaches, migraine, epilepsy, temper tantrums, hysteria, depression and general mental tension.

Neti is of great benefit for problems associated with the eyes. It helps flush the tear ducts, encouraging clearer vision and gives a sparkle to the eyes.

It can be beneficial for certain types of ear disorders such as middle ear infections, glue ear, tinnitus.

Neti improves sensitivity of the olfactory nerves, helping to restore lost sense of smell, and thereby benefits the relationship with taste and digestive processes.

It has subtle effects on the pineal and pituitary glands which control the hormonal system. This has a harmonizing effect on emotional behaviors.

Neti affects the psychic center known as Ajna Chakra which helps in awakening higher states of meditation.

It helps to stimulate better powers of visualization and concentration and gives a feeling of lightness and clarity to the mind.

Neti is excellent for those trying to give up smoking. Since it reduces the tendency for mouth breathing, Neti re-sensitizes the nose to the actual pollution of ingesting smoke, thereby de-programming the brain of the physical and psychological addiction.






5 Insightful Comments:

Kaivalya said...

I *love* the neti pot! It's been my saviour from allergies, chronic sinus infections and generic dis-ease. I even 'demo' it my yoga classes every so often for students ('performance neti', ha, ha!)

I should be doing this daily (I live in a smoggy city). Thanks for the reminder!

Brad Woods said...

I love this quote might post on fb later today!

peaceloveyoga said...

@ Kaivalya - wow. demoing the neti pot in classes is a good idea. Especially in helping those see that it's not such a big deal.

@ Brad - Be my guest. :)

StEvE said...

Well this post really sold the idea of using a neti pot. i never realised it was so simple, yet beneficial.

I've searched high & low around here, and they don't appear to exist in Thailand. Does anyone have any idea how I could improvise, until I can get one?

peaceloveyoga said...

Good question. I'm not quite sure. I'm a bit surprised that you couldn't find one in Thailand. I'll have to ask my friend who lives there if she knows.

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger